If you’re passionate about cooking, you certainly must have wondered, ” how to be a successful chef?” You surely must have fancied yourself in a stainless perfectly tailored chef coat, walking in the glamorous kitchen of your dreams, examining the ingredients and the platter!
Becoming a chef is an excellent career but the life of a chef is not as glamorous as it is shown on the TV. This thriving service industry is always demanding dedicated and skilled professionals. But, the journey requires time, consistent hard work, and the optimistic personality because not everyone who steps into the kitchen is deemed to be a successful chef.
The responsibility of good chefs simply does not concern about preparing large portions of meals as per the requirements. Cooking, in fact, is a combination of art and science that requires skills, techniques, and creativity for the preparation of a certain dish, which can make a lasting impression and provide a unique dining experience to your guests in terms of taste and presentation.
You will get to experience the amazing feeling of creating an art, and develop something unique, new by leveraging your creativity and experience both madness, love, and passion in one dish if you become a successful chef.
The successful and good chefs in the world possess one thing in common, that is; the incredible capacity to sustain and run the kitchen. So, if you’re aspiring to be a great and excellent chef one day but looking for a guidance then here’s the list of most effective answers to your question on “how to become a successful chef?“.
- Creativity: Cooking is an art and science blended together. The preparation of excellent dishes requires creativity. Thus, you should be able to take risks to create and experiment with the ingredients, so that you can render something amazing in terms of flavour and presentation.
- Strong work ethic: Strong work ethic is one of the unique traits to become a successful chef. It’s the work ethic that shapes you to be a successful chef from a learner or a beginner. Your effort, attention, dependability, physical and mental presence, focus, consistency, and your hunger for learning defines your strong and positive work ethic as a good chef.
- Physical strength: Embracing the profession as a chef can be physically challenging because most of your working hours will be spent on your feet. Besides, your working time rotates in the odd hours like the middle of the night or early morning.
- Ability to handle the criticism: Even the most experienced chefs have something to learn every day. The best trait of good chefs is the power to handle the criticism and not take it personally but regard it as an opportunity to improve your skills and techniques. Take criticisms and stay at the best level by using them as a tool to upgrade to a better version of yourself.
- Multitasking: So you’re dealing with the task assigned to you a few minutes ago but at the same time, you’re asked to sauteing the turkey, prepare the vegetables, and fetch the sauce from the refrigerator! But, performing multiple-tasks is one of the most essential traits to become a successful chef. This trait is found in best chefs around the globe.
- Ability to work with a team: You’re never alone while it comes to working in the kitchen. From the day 1, you’ll be working with a team with diverse people, like kitchen assistants, cooks, executive chefs, chefs de Partie, sous chefs, etc. Your ability to work in the team will determine your future as an excellent chef.
- Attention to tiny details: The job of a chef is tricky where you have to pay close attention to everything. From cooking a to specific time and prevent food from getting overcooked or undercooked, measuring every ingredient, bending the right amount and what not? A steak cooked for a minute long, or a missing garnish can ruin your hard work. So, while training to be a chef, you should learn to pay attention to everything happening around you.
- Enrol yourself into Culinary Arts School/ College: The best-recommended procedure is to attend a Culinary Arts College so that you can enhance not only your cooking skills but also educate yourself about the industry and other required skills.
If you are an aspiring chef and have completed your 10+2 then you can build a sound and stable foundation for your dreams and make it an ideal reality at Inspiria Knowledge Campus, which is located at Himachal Vihar Matigara. The College offers an excellent opportunity for the youths that are seeking to build their career as Chef and other fields as well. Inspiria Knowledge Campus in one of the leading institutions in the Northeastern region that gives wings to your ambitions and prepares you with unique and modern learning approach which is much demanded by the today’s world of AI, technological driven world.
Dear aspirants, apart from enrolling yourself in a college, focus and work on developing your skills, keep the patience, be consistent and faithful to your dreams of becoming a successful chef.
Have a fruitful and thriving career ahead!