All of us do not have equal talent. Yet all of us have an equal opportunity to develop our talents.
– Ratan Tata
We know how tough it is to land a job nowadays. So what is it that the employers look for while hiring?
When comparing candidates, an employer differentiates between well-qualified applicants and candidates who appear to have the qualities, skills, experience, and knowledge required to sustain in a job. For employers, getting the right people means identifying people with the right “skills” to fulfill the role and contribute to the organization’s success.
What are Employability Skills?
Employability skills are those skills necessary for getting, keeping and being successful in a job.
In order to be eligible to apply for a job and to be successful at the job, one needs to exhibit a mix of the following skills:
The 10 Employability Skills
- Perseverance: There is no substitute to hard work. In order to be successful and achieve good results one has to put in hard work, be patient and persist at doing whatever it takes (ethically).
- Strong self-belief: It is important to bring out one’s true self in whatever activity he is involved in. The way one can stand out and be successful is by bringing his ideas and opinions out and fight for them.
- Humility: It is one of the very important ‘filters’ in an interview process. The first step to learning is accepting we don’t know everything and let go of pride and ego. That leads us to a bigger goal and the zeal to know more.
- Positivity: It is normal to face challenges and failures in one’s career. It is very important to look for opportunities within these challenges. One should focus on the positive side of a situation and identify what can be done rather than brood on the negatives of it.
- Innovative problem solving: One must have the ability to understand a problem and identify the key issues by bringing new ideas, thinking out of the box and applying the knowledge from different areas to solving a task.
- Masterful communication: Excellent communication skills both in written and spoken mean sare vital to achieve success in life. Being able to show that one can write and speak effectively with clarity is a key skill in the initial stage of applying for graduate positions.
- Collaboration: The ability to work in a team is high on a recruiters’ wishlist. It is highly required to work well with other people from different disciplines, backgrounds, and expertise to accomplish a task or goal.
- Passion for quality: One should have a strong focus on producing excellent results and think about long-term goals instead of short-term ones. Its essential to be responsible for the assigned work and thrive for producing the best results one is capable of.
- Personal excellence: The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential – are the key qualities that will unlock the door to personal excellence. One should be a life-long learner and should know how to identify his abilities and build a career around them. It is important to evaluate the strengths and weakness and focus on areas where one needs to improve.
- Independent Thinking: Employers want the employees to be independently doing their work with minimal supervision. One must be self-motivated, self-driven and capable of independently solving problems. This leads to high performance and productivity.