“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
Students, how to make a career decision is the biggest question that every student wonders. It is also the most important decision of one’s life. One’s entire life is dependent on this decision.
To find a career that fits you, you need to know what you like to do, what you’re good at and what you want to achieve. Once you know your interests, abilities and goals, you can match them with your career possibilities.
Students, remember you need to understand one thing that there is nothing like a good or a bad career option. It becomes good when it matches your personality and the opposite when it doesn’t. That is why, it becomes important to take up a career on the basis of your personality and not under emotional/family, peer or social pressure.
One should take these points very seriously while you make a career decision:
1. Be very honest and true to yourself while making this decision- that is, don’t copy/ imitate what others are doing, do what you are good at. Be realistic, honest and most importantly original’.
2. A career should be decided on the basis of personality traits and individual difference- get an in-depth insight in understanding your own self.
3. Everyone knows what they like and dislike: Identify your interest areas and areas that don’t interest you.
4. Identify, what you want to achieve – that is your goals and aspirations.
5. Analyse and evaluate your skills- SWOT analysis of your qualities (qualities you possess and qualities you need to work on). Assess the skills you have –and determine the skills you need – to find careers that match your abilities. You may have already learned to:
- Manage time
- Evaluate information
- Make good decisions
- Be reliable
- Communicate well
- Be accurate
- Be efficient
- Understand quickly
- Be organized
- Be enthusiastic
- Motivate people
- Be flexible
- Analyze data
- Solve problems
6. Prioritize your goals- on the basis of these: earnings, service, prestige, geography, independence, security, responsibility, teamwork, environment, and any other aspirations.
7. Ask yourself these questions:
- Which goals are most important to you? Why?
- Which goals are not as important to you? Why?
- What additional goals do you have for your career?
Also Read: How Inspiria is Transforming Education through Technology!
After having done this, you will realise you know what matches your personality and is the perfect career choice for you. It is then, you can research about various diverse career options available in and around the world. After you learn about the various options, figure out the personality traits the career demands.
Scenario 1: For BBA- Individuals are energetic, ambitious, adventurous, sociable and self-confident. They enjoy activities that require them to persuade others, such as sales, and seek out leadership roles.
Scenario 2: For Media Science or Mass communication: Individuals are analytical, intellectual and observant and enjoy research. Also, humanistic, idealistic, responsible and concerned with the welfare of others, should be original, intuitive and imaginative and enjoy creative activities, such as composing or playing music, writing, drawing or painting and acting or directing stage productions. They seek opportunities for self-expression through artistic creation.
Scenario 3: For BCA: individuals are analytical, intellectual and observant and enjoy research, mathematical or scientific activities. They are drawn to ambiguous challenges and may be stifled in highly structured environments. People who fall into this category enjoy using logic and solving highly complex, abstract problems. Because they are introspective and focused on creative problem solving, investigative types so often work autonomously.
Scenario 4: For BHM: individuals are efficient, careful, conforming, organised and conscientious. Also- energetic, ambitious, adventurous, sociable self-confident and creative.They work as part of a team, solve problems through discussions and utilise interpersonal skills.
Similarly, on the basis of the personality traits required for a specific career, a career can be decided.