As the sports industry continues to grow and evolve, the need for skilled and knowledgeable sports managers has become more important than ever. A bachelor’s in Sports Management is the study and practice of applying business principles and practices to the sports industry. It encompasses a wide range of activities, including event management, marketing, finance, and leadership.
Career Prospect in Sports Education
Sports education is a growing field, with increasing demand for professionals who can help individuals and teams develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in sports-related careers. The current sports industry’s turnover is $512.14 billion in 2023. The industry comes with an immense amount of opportunities.
The target audience of this industry is every single human being, as we all love sports, and it can be any. Because of that, it is the biggest market of opportunities.
In addition to gaining industry experience, acquiring an advanced degree in sport management from a program with specialized paths such as athlete development and high-performance coaching, could help you achieve your desired career goals.
Difference between Sports Management & Bachelor of Physical Education
Bachelor of Physical Education
A bachelor in Physical education is an undergraduate degree program in the domain of sports and fitness. The course revolves around one’s physical as well as mental well-being and fitness. This course targets the audience to get involved in physical exercises. It’s 3-4 years of course after 12th. And 2 years after Graduation.
Some of the common topics covered in a B.P.Ed program include anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, sports psychology, sports management, coaching, and physical fitness. Students are also required to participate in various sports activities and games to develop their skills and gain practical experience.
Bachelor of Physical Education: Course Curriculum
The curriculum for a Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.) program may vary slightly depending on the institution offering the degree, but generally, the course will cover the following subjects:
|History and Foundation of Physical Education|
|Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling|
|Teaching Methodology in Physical Education|
|Sociology of Sports|
|Motor Learning & Sports Psychology|
|Principles of Sports Training & Yoga|
|Management in Physical Education|
|Anatomy, Physiology and Kinesiology in Physical Education|
|Health Education and Recreation in Physical Education|
|Coaching and Officiating in Sports and Games|
|Statistics and Computer Application in Physical Education|
|Applied Anatomy and Physiology|
|Physiology of Exercise|
|Kinesiology and Bio-mechanics|
|Applied Computer Education and Statistics in Physical Education|
Scope in Bachelor of Physical Education
A Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed) degree offers a wide range of career opportunities in the field of sports, physical education, and fitness. Some of the popular career options for B.P.Ed graduates include:
- Physical Education Teacher: B.P.Ed graduates can work as physical education teachers in schools, colleges, and universities. They can teach various sports and physical activities to students and help them develop their physical fitness and skills.
- Sports Coach: B.P.Ed graduates can work as sports coaches in various sports clubs, academies, and training centres. They can train and guide aspiring athletes and help them improve their skills and performance in different sports.
- Fitness Trainer: B.P.Ed graduates can work as fitness trainers in gyms, health clubs, and fitness centres. They can design and implement fitness programs for clients and help them achieve their fitness goals.
- Sports Therapist: B.P.Ed graduates can work as sports therapists and help athletes recover from injuries and prevent further injuries. They can also provide advice on nutrition and fitness to help athletes maintain their physical well-being.
- Physical Education Researcher: B.P.Ed graduates can work as physical education researchers and conduct research in various areas of physical education and sports. They can work in research institutions, universities, and government agencies and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field.
Also read: Scope of Sports Management in India
BBA Sports Management
BBA Sports Management is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on the business aspects of the sports industry. It combines principles of business and management with a specific focus on sports organizations and their operations. The department of Sports caters to the overall development of students as prospective professionals in the field of sports.
Some of the key areas covered in a BBA Sports Management program include marketing, finance, accounting, law, and ethics, as they relate to the sports industry. Students also learn about event management, facilities management, sports broadcasting, and sports media.
Also read: Best Colleges for Sports Management in India
A Sports Management degree comes with vast knowledge in different fields such as:
i) Marketing ii) Operations iii) Human Resources iv) Strategy management v) Financial Management vi) Sports and business law vii) Sponsorship Management viii) Spectator Management ix) Organizational behaviour x) Statistics xi) Sports Medicine and cure xii) First Aid
Bachelor in Sports Management: Course Curriculum
Sports Management course is designed with several foundational topics that cover management as a stream along with some subjects that are discipline-specific. The programmes cover all the skills and knowledge related to on-field and off-field management of sports stars, sports teams, events and tournaments. Space below mention the Sports Management subjects taught in major courses.
The curriculum for a Bachelor of Physical Education (B.P.Ed.) program may vary slightly depending on the institution offering the degree, the below curriculum is taken from the course module of Sports Management Degree at Inspria Knowledge Campus
|Principles of Management & Statistics|
|Management Training & Conditioning|
|Computer systems for Facilities Planning & Management|
|Contemporary Issues and Sports Marketing|
|Principles of Management|
|Basics of Sports Medicine & Nutrition|
|Basics of Assessment in Psychology|
|Human Resource Management|
|First Aid and CPR|
|Sports Law and Risk Management|
|Psychology of Sports|
|Managing Sports Organization|
|Officiating and Coaching|
|Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education|
|Comprehensive Viva on Project (Major)|
Scope in BBA Sports Management
As the sports industry continues to grow and evolve, the need for skilled and knowledgeable sports managers has become more important than ever opening doors to various careers in Sports Management. Recently SPORTS announces a record-breaking cumulative viewership of 5.4 Billion for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. 800+ sports are actively played in the world. And more than 200 + major events are out there based on sports.
Sports Management is a diverse field with many career opportunities. Here are some of the popular careers in Sports Management:
- Event Manager: Event coordinators plan and execute sporting events, such as tournaments, games, and races. They are the ones who are responsible for managing all the sporting events. From day-to-day operations to managing the total quality. Also to provide resources in need.
- Team Manager: Team managers are the ones who are responsible for managing sports teams. Also, they are responsible for coordination with the team coaches, players, and sports committees. They are the ones who take care of the needs of any coach or player. In short, they are the ones who manage the CLUB.
- Sports Analytics Specialist: Sports analytics specialists use data to analyze performance and make strategic decisions. They may work for teams, leagues, or broadcasters to analyze player statistics, trends, and more.
- Facility management: A facility manager is a professional who is responsible for overseeing the operation and maintenance of a building or facility. Facility managers are typically responsible for a wide range of tasks related to the upkeep and management of a facility, including Maintenance and repairs, safety and security.
- Sports Agent: A sports agent is a professional who represents athletes and helps them manage their careers, negotiate contracts, and secure endorsement deals. Sports agents work on behalf of their clients to help them achieve their goals and maximize their earning potential.
Sports management and physical education are two distinct fields, although they both relate to sports and physical activity. Sports management is a business-oriented field that focuses on the management and administration of sports organizations, events, and facilities. Physical education, on the other hand, is an education-focused field that emphasizes the teaching and learning of physical activity and healthy living.
Both sports management and physical education are important fields that offer unique career paths and opportunities. However, as a career sports management offers a pool of opportunities in this colourful world of sports management. The degree specializes in sports management but is not limited to Sports. However, if you are strong in teaching, coaching, and interpersonal skills, physical education may be a better fit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Physical education is concerned primarily with the promotion and inculcation of physical fitness and skills while sports management is an emerging field of study which involves various business aspects of sports and combines the skills of different disciplines like marketing, accounting, event management,
The career domain of Sports Management is filled with an immense number of job opportunities
Workers in these occupations perform and oversee artistic and athletic ventures. Overall employment in entertainment and sports occupations is projected to grow 13 per cent from 2021 to 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Yes, especially for those lacking the proper education or industry connections. Holding a degree in sport management gives you a higher chance of standing out against the competition and creating a lucrative career in the industry.
Sport management degree-holders typically have various career options. Some might work directly with athletes as coaches, athletic directors or facilities directors. Others go the corporate route and become marketers, lawyers, data analysts or sports reporters.
Also Read : Importance of Sports in education