BCA or Bachelor of Computer Applications is a 3 years course which can be done by IT aspirants. It is a strong foundation building course in the field of computer applications. With a BCA degree in hand, a person can be recruited in various IT sectors like software services, engineering services and computer hardware. He/she can also get recruited in other commercial segments like telecom and banking. With the rapid growth of IT industry in India, the demand for computer professionals is increasing day by day. This increasing growth of IT industry has created a lot of opportunities for the computer graduates.
The duration of the course is 3 years and divided into 6 semesters. There are various important subjects that are taught in the entire course like C, JAVA, Operating Systems, Networking, Graphics, Windows programming, Database Management System etc.
Also Read: Why do a BCA course?
The Students who are interested in going for this course must fulfill some of the eligibility criteria as set forward by the universities.
- 1. The student must be the citizen of India or any other country.
- 2. He/she must have passed class 12th or senior secondary examination with at least 50% marks including English.
- 3. He/she must not be less than 17 years of age.
- 4. Most universities prefer the students from science background or those who had maths/ computer science/ computer applications/ business maths/ statistics/ informatics practices at 10+2 level.
- 5. Apart from that, the admission in the regular BCA course is done through a common entrance test (CET) conducted by the university. The test is generally of objective type. The formalities for taking the test start in the month of May – June.
The papers that are covered in the entire course include:
- Digital electronics
- Business System Analysis
- Introduction to programming(C programming)
- PC Software(Computer Basics and MS Office)
- Computer Architecture and System Software
- Computer Programming
- English language and communication
- Information system analysis and design
- Operating System
- Data Structure with C
- Graphics and internet
- Object-Oriented Programming with C++
- Software project management and quality assurance
- Data Communication and Computer Networks
- UNIX and Shell Programming
- Windows Programming
Students are also exposed to live projects in state of the art platforms in the field of software design, web technologies, upcoming technologies such as cloud computing, android programming, watermarking, e-commerce and so on.
The fee structure of BCA courses in India ranges from 1.5 lakhs to 3 lakhs INR for most of the universities. This fee mostly includes tuition fees and other institutional fees (for colleges) and excludes any fees payable to the university, hostel and food fees.
There is a huge job scope in the field of IT after pursuing BCA. After completing the course, a student can go for a job or can opt for higher degrees like MCA and MSc in Computer Science. Candidates with good entrepreneurial skills can start up with his/her own business of software development or other IT related services. He/ she can go for research work and enter in the prestigious field of academics. The options of getting recruited in multi-national companies dealing in Softwares/ IT is also available to the students with the BCA degree.
Watch the video below to know more about Career in Computer Application